Page created by T Mar 10th 2009:
Universal Joint Replacement Workguide by Ecoimpact:
Perhaps someone might put the following information into holdenpaedia...I got to go to bed now (exhausted from typing!)
I went and bought my first bench vice today. It’s a Irwin mechanics vice (no. 3), which you'll see it in action in some of the links below, now I just need a work bench and a shed to put it all in!! haha.
Today was the day for the HZ sedan uni joints to get changed, so I marked the back propeller shaft and diff with whiteout, just to remind me of its position, undid the “U” bolts and carefully took off the tailshaft.
It took a while for me to realise how to budge the rear and front uni joints out of the propeller shaft yoke and front universal joint yoke. After reading the "propeller shaft and universal joints" section within the HQ holden service manual, it eventually dawned on me that I needed to study the drawings in more detail (refer to fig 1 – 5 below), as my technique was just all wrong. Things went pretty quick from here on.
I don't have the tool no. 4A11, as shown in the link special tools below, therefore I used the following sockets with the vice 3/4, 5/8 and 11/16 and when hammering the U.J into place, I used the 5/8 attached to a metal rod displayed in photograph 2.
Special tools Remover (no. 4A11)
In photographs 1 & 2 (below), I used wood to illustrate how to prevent the vice causing damage to the new U.J and propeller shaft.
In photograph 6, you’ll notice I didn’t use wood with the vice in this instance, as unfortunately my vice wasn't capable of opening wide enough for the size wedges I was using and as I was running out of daylight, I was reluctant to find/make thinner wedges and I will bear with the marks on the propeller shaft and my vice grip plates. I’ll be investigating thin strips of pine for both sides of the vice’s grips.
Continuing on, at this point both the worn U.J's are now taken out, which I took all the bearing assembly casing's off to assess their condition and it was obvious one of the spider arms on the front U.J was making all the noise. (Refer to photographs 3 & 4 below)
Photograph 4 I wasn't sure if there was a special technique to fit the new U.J bearings into the propeller shaft yoke and front propeller universal joint yoke, while being concerned about damaging the U.J spider or displacing the needle rollers in the bearing assembly. Recalling the process my good buddy and myself followed when replacing the Toyota corolla KE70’s U.J’s, I proceeded by taking off the bearing assemblies on the new spider's (photograph 5.) and positioning the new U.J within the yoke. While holding the spider arm within the propeller shaft housing, I manually pushed the bearing assembly onto the spider arm into the housing (from the outside), then I used my vice and a socket to push one bearing assembly (at a time) into the yoke's housing (photograph 6). Repeat on the opposite spider arm. Photograph 5 (the old worn U.J – for the purposes of this story, pretend this is a brand new U.J)
Photograph 6 Before pushing the U.J completely into place, I put a lock ring on the inner bearing assembly allowing me to hammer into place the opposite side with the socket.
I installed the tailshaft with its new U.J and took her for a spin on the western freeway. Goes beautiful! Cheers Jesse Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take photographs that showed "brand new" UJ's being replaced, as I was running out of daylight and also I didn't have access to a shed or decent outside light at the time. Therefore for the purposes of this holdenpaedia page, "photograph 1" shows an old, used, worn and greasy UJ being used purely for practice and reference only. I will attempt to update this work guide with the relevant picture showing fitment of a brand new UJ's with a socket ASAP. T please read the discussion page, I left you some detail in regards to my latest edit to this work guide